Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Surplus lines

Surplus Lines License

  • You must hold an active resident or non-resident Oregon producer Property & Casualty license
  • You may submit an electronic application for Surplus Lines through Paper applications are not acceptable.
  • You must pass a Surplus Lines exam for a resident license or hold Surplus Lines line of authority in your resident state for a non-resident license
    • There are no classes or study material available for the surplus lines exam. The surplus line questions in the exam are related to the statutory provisions of the surplus lines law under ORS 735-400 to 735-495.
    • The Insurance Institute of America offers two courses on Surplus Lines insurance: ASLI 162 – Surplus Lines Insurance Practice and ASLI 161 – Surplus Line Insurance Principles and Issues. The textbooks for these two courses are available from the Institute and provide good education in the nuances of surplus line insurance. You may contact the Surplus Lines Association about obtaining these textbooks at
  • The surplus lines association collects taxes for us, all payments, while payable to us, are sent to them. They oversee the filing etc. If you didn't write any business, you do not have to file a report.
  • The contact information for the Oregon Surplus Lines Association is