Preneed certified providers
The division requires certification for funeral homes and cemeteries that sell or administer prearranged funeral contracts to consumers where the money is deposited and maintained in a trust account until needed.
How to apply
- Complete the certified provider application form in Word or PDF.
- Provide proof of current business registration with the Oregon Secretary of State
- Provide a copy of your current Oregon Mortuary and Cemetery Board license
- Complete and sign a Criminal Background and Credit Check Authorization Form in Word or PDF for each owner, partner, or manager of the business
- Submit a $390 application fee
Information for a cemetery that is also an endowment care cemetery
If the cemetery is selling prearrangement contracts for burial vaults and markers they may be required to obtain an Endowment Care for Burial Vaults and Markers Penal Bond with Surety (in Word or PDF) or irrevocable letter of credit in the amount of $10,000. For more details review ORS 97.929(1)(c)
If the cemetery is selling crypts or niches that are not in existence at the time of the sale or agreement they may be required to obtain an Endowment Care for Crypts or Niches Penal Bond with Surety (in Word or PDF)or irrevocable letter of credit in an amount equal to 35 percent of the total sales price of all crypts or niches that have been sold if they have not yet been completed. For more details review ORS 97(1)(b)
Annual reports, renewals, and fees
By Jan. 31 of each year, you must submit:
- A Funeral and Cemetery Consumer Protection Trust Fund Certified Provider Contract Sales Annual Report in Word or PDF detailing your sold prearrangement contracts (report must be submitted even if no contracts were sold). The trust fund provides claim for restitution in Word or PDF to those who prepaid for funeral services and merchandise, but did not receive some or all of them. Payments for restitution are only made if the director finds the obligation is not collectible from the provider and orders the payment.
- Applicable fee ($5 per each prearrangement contract sold).
By April 1 of each year, you must to submit:
- A Certified Provider Prearrangement Trust Fund Annual Report in Word or PDF with a summary of your annual trust fund activity and balance.
- An $80 fee or $390 fee, depending on your trust fund balance and the number of outstanding prearrangement contracts. The fee also renews your certification through the following year.
If you need help filing a claim for restitution in Word or PDF, call 503-378-4140 and a receptionist will connect you to an examiner who can help you complete the form.