Collection agency registration
The division registers individuals or companies that collect third-party debts
or repossess collateral, such as a vehicle.
How to apply
Submit an application through the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS).
NMLS website has instructions on how to submit an application for Oregon,
or any other state. You can find the
checklist for an Oregon collection agency registration. NMLS has a resources
and support section that may be helpful, particularly for first-time users.
An applicant for a collection agency registration must:
- Provide proof of current business registration with the Oregon
Secretary of State.
- Provide through NMLS an electronic surety
bond in the amount of $15,000 for a company located out of state that
has no location or trust account in Oregon. All other applicants submit a
$10,000 electronic surety bond through NMLS.
- Upload to NMLS a completed and signed Criminal Background and Credit Check
Authorization Form in Word
or PDF for each
owner, partner, or manager of the business.
- Complete the application in NMLS, including paying the registration fee of $350.
- For companies who are headquartered outside of the state of Oregon, upload a completed Request for Waiver in Word, or PDF, to NMLS in the trust account documents.
For more detailed information, review the
checklist in NMLS.
Required disclosure questions
Your company must answer disclosure questions through the NMLS
application process. If you answer yes to any disclosure question, you must
provide an explanation. This chart
details information that you must provide in response to an affirmative answer.