Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »


Requirements for Oregon residents and nonresidents (individuals and businesses)

Consultants may be licensed for life, health, or general lines (property and casualty). Consultants may charge a fee for providing insurance advice.

  • Apply online at
  • You must have a minimum of five years' current insurance experience.
  • You must provide proof of errors-and-omission coverage of at least $500,000 per occurrence. The policy must have specific language stating consulting activities are covered.
  • Non-residents must hold a substantially similar license in the home state.
  • Within 30 days of licensure, you must be affiliated to a business entity, licensed in Oregon, for consulting (Form 2139).
  • Assumed names must be registered with the Secretary of State Corporation Division.

If you are the spouse of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is duty-stationed in Oregon and you hold a current individual consultant license in another state, Oregon may issue you a temporary license for Oregon. Please contact the Division at (503) 378-4140 for more details.

If you are applying for an individual consultant license and you do not have a social security number, you may use your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) instead.

Exam waivers

Exams are waived for applicants who have an active Oregon resident license in the same lines for which they are applying.

If you do not have an active Oregon resident license, you must pass an exam, be fingerprinted, and have background check. PSI administers the exams. Exam fees are paid directly to PSI at the time of exam registration.


800-733-9267 (toll-free)

​​Contact us

Phone: 503-947-7981
Fax: 503-378-4351​​​​​​