Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

What to do if your identity is stolen

If you believe you are a victim of identity theft:

  • File a police report to document the crime for your creditors. Make sure you get the report number and a copy.
  • Report the theft to the Federal Trade Commission at 877-438-4338 (toll-free) or the FTC complaint assistant.
  • Contact all your creditors such as your bank or credit union, credit card company, cellphone provider and other utilities, and your health insurance provider.

You have been hacked, now what?

  • Update your computer’s security software (virus and firewall protection) and run it to scan for viruses and malicious software (malware).
  • Set your security software, Internet browser, and operating system (Windows or Mac OS) to update automatically.
  • Change your passwords; if you use similar passwords for other accounts, change them as well. Use strong passwords: eight to 12 characters mixed with numbers, letters and symbols.
  • Check the advice your email provider or social networking site has about restoring your account.

​​​​​​​​Questions or complaints?

File a complaint online or contact us:

Consumer Hotline
888-877-4894 (toll-free)


Financial services


Securities and investments



​​​​​Check a license

Always verify that the company or individual you are working with has a license.

Check a license now.

Find licensed payday and title lenders.